Saturday, June 30, 2012

Couldn't Let It Go + Figs


I found a small frame Vespa frame (50 Special - V5B3T) for sale on Craigslist and rode all the way out into the country at night to pick it up. I got a good deal on the small frame but noticed another larger Vespa sitting in the corner up on blocks. I asked about it and he described the problems it had and his solutions. He eventually said he'd sell it for $600 just to get out from under it. I went home with the small frame and left it at that. 


Except I didn't forget it. It was such a beautiful light aqua blue. The piston was seized and he was spraying penetrating oil on it occasionally to try and free it. He said he had been doing that for a couple of months with no results. I hadn't forgotten it. He would never get it going and would eventually sell it off.

So I texted him an offer of $400. He could simply say no. 
He texted back a counter offer of $500 saying we should split the difference. 
I counter-countered and bought it for the excellent price of $450 and a big bag of ripe figs from the tree outside of my house. He was very happy about the figs. 

And here it is: It is a earlier Vespa Super 125 (VNC1T). There is no oil reservoir. This will require premixing the oil and gas. I am going to have to keep a can of the premix and fill up at home. No big problem really.


The cowls are in good shape and the engine...
Well as I said, the piston of the engine is seized. The owner did not have an explanation of  why it was seized but I am not terribly concerned. The beauty of these small Vespa engines is that they are relatively simple and unless parts are rusted together, can generally be rebuilt and they will run just fine. 



That is my intention with this one. I am going to get this engine back into good running order and perhaps even put a larger head on it. (perhaps a 166cc?, we'll see) The front assembly (steering column  + front fork and shock) is the wrong one for this model. Once again, there is no good story for why it does not have the proper column but I will try and find the right one and maybe trade this one for it. 


This is the sad little corner I rescued it from. The stack of wooden blocks was propping up the front fork which did not have a tire or rim on it. (included but not on the bike.) 

We loaded it up and he gave me the photocopied user manuals for both the smallframe and this bike. He also gave me a book called "How to Restore and Maintain your Vespa."
That ought to come in real handy here soon. 


As asked, I closed the gate on the way out. 
Didn't want the cows to escape.

Scooter, Texas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment