Thursday, June 21, 2012

Next Project: 1980 Bajaj Chetak


The way I understand it, in the late 60's, Vespa built a factory in India to supply the Indian market. For whatever reason, Vespa was unable to operate there and the factory was sold to the Bajaj Motor Company. They began, under license from Vespa, to build the Bajaj Chetak. The scooter was basically an exact (?) clone of the Vespa Sprint and thousands were manufactured. After 1980, the model style changed to a clone of the popular Vespa P200. The Bajaj scooters are considered to be hardy machines

This is one of them. It's a 1980 model in the Sprint style. I am picking this one up next Tuesday and will see how far I can take it. If I can make it nice and sell it to someone to enjoy, that's great. If it just winds up being a dirty little runaround, I am happy about that too. (it did not work out to buy it) I love having a herd of scooters with different personalities. 

Not that I am anthropomorphizing anything....

No comments:

Post a Comment