Sunday, July 22, 2012

2007 Daelim Delfino 100cc


This was pointed out to me and I bought it very cheap. I would have assumed this was yet another Chinese scooter with questionable build quality. It turns out this was built by Daelim Motors from Korea whose parent company is Kia Motors. This is what it should look like new. It did not come with a top case.



Here it is after I pulled the back panels. Its 100cc 2 stroke engine is the same (possibly exact clone) of the engine in the Honda Rio and is also used by Kymco. It's my understanding that Daelim Motor company has been around since the late 60's and their scooter manufacturing is in partnership with Honda so the quality oversight ought to be pretty good. 

That said, this one is not running very well. It will idle just fine but it cannot move into a higher RPM range when the throttle is pulled. Here's a video showing it starting up and running. 


You can see it's running very rich and smoking. I checked the air filter for clogging but it's clean. I cleaned the carb and jets out for good measure. This model has a fuel pump which was unexpected (to me). I tried a different spark plug coil but the engine ran the same with the new one as well. We are narrowing in on the stator which generates AC power from the movement of the flywheel or the CDI unit which times the ignition of the spark plug. If the stator is bad, there may not be enough charge to fire the plug. If the CDI is bad, the timing of the ignition spark could be wrong causing the spark to fire at the wrong time during the stroke of the piston and the fuel would not ignite fully. 

I can tell this bike WANTS to run. It seems like a nice clean engine and this scooter would make a great riding companion to the Elite 80 I am working on as well. 

It's just parts. Parts make systems. If a system is failing, a part is failing and it's JUST parts. 






1 comment:

  1. hello are you still have the parts for delfino speedometer assy

    ReplyDelete