Sunday, July 8, 2012

This Tractor Seat


I used to joke that I didn't want a tiny little seat on my bicycle, I wanted one of those big metal tractor seats. A decade and a half later and the big metal tractor seat has appeared in my life. I had it sandblasted and then I polished it with an orbital sander and some 220 grit. It's gorgeous and the stamped metal is certainly in the spirit of the metal bodied Vespas.

So the idea is to have a bracket fabricated and try and use it as a saddle for one of the Vespas. It really isn't ALL that different from the single saddles like the one on this bike:


I envision a plate that lines up with the current mounting holes with another plate that is connected to it by a hinge in the front and springs in the back. The seat itself would attach to this top plate with a single short bolt.  A line of holes up the middle of the top plate would allow for a minor amount of seat adjustment forward and back.

I am just not sure how I might go about working that out. Maybe I will bug Scooter Steve about it.

I will point out that I have brought this idea up in a couple of different forums and I had many people suggest that the bare metal seat would be disastrous to my coccyx and spine and that I should pad the thing. This of course, would defeat the whole purpose of having an awesome bare metal seat. I am going to try it out anyways if I can figure out how to get the bracket made. I am sure a mile or two ought to give me a definitive answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment