Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Guest Post: Me and my Ruckus

I'm Rob, I own a Honda Ruckus.  William has given me the opportunity to do a guest post on this blog which I am very happy to do.  Without further ado, here's the story of my Ruckus.

After living car free for three years,  I decided I would finally pick up a scooter.  I knew nearly nothing about them, but I knew I wanted a Honda Ruckus.  Nothing looked like it, and it looked like nothing else.  I loved the side profile photo on Honda’s website, even 100% stock they were unique.  Like anything with an engine, people have been modifying them for style, performance, utility, or a combination of those.  The tuner/tinkerer in me loved that about the Ruckus.  In July 2010, without ever having ridden a motorcycle, I rode mine home from the local dealership.

The mods came soon... after about 200 miles I already had a new rear shock and variator.  I was now able to get 45mph and could go over bumps without bottoming out.  Other mods came over time,  aftermarket CDI, kevlar belt, intake, exhaust, new handlebars, windscreen and more.

There’s a great satisfaction in squeezing more power out of a 50cc 4 stroke.  It’s very easy to do modifications that make you go slower rather than faster.  For me, performance modding was a very slow and deliberate process for this reason.  You have to get very comfortable with jetting, listening to the bike, and reading spark plugs.  It’s a skill you have to hone, it takes time, but it’s very rewarding.

On the main Ruckus forum, totalruckus.com, there’s a saying: Rider’s Ride.  With that in mind, I decided I would only do mods to my bike that increased performance or usability, and would do no mods that took away from those aspects.  I ride nearly every day, keeping it reliable is the most important goal.  Also important is being able to carry a load a groceries from the store.  This is why I’ve retained the stock plastic floor board that most people discard right away.  

I’ve been on a lot of group rides.  There’s the impromptu group rides with other Ruckus owners, the regular rides we try to schedule each Wednesday, or the giants rides as part of local scooter rallies.  My most memorable ride by far is the 455 mile round trip I made to the Mexican border and back.  It took me 8 hours to get there, and 10 to get back.  The trip took a toll on me, but the Ruck took it in stride.  

On the road to Mexico.

I like the Ruckus because it gives you absolutely everything you need, and nothing you don’t.  You get a scooter with nearly no amenities.  No fuel gauge, no storage, no disc brakes.  You get a scooter and not much else.  Because of its raw styling and basic construction, it serves as a blank canvas for the owner if they choose to modify.  Swapping engines is more or less a bolt on affair if you purchase the right mounts.  You can stretch them, add chrome, backrests, new handlebars, headlights, tail lights, and much more.  And if you choose to leave it stock?  Well you still get a uniquely styled scooter that will get you 100mpg every time you ride it.  

I could have easily bought a faster scooter, or one with storage space, but I don’t think anything can compare to my Ruckus.  It catches looks everywhere it goes.  Other motorists aren’t quite sure what you’re up to... but they have a feeling it’s illegal.



As it sits now... but for how long?

1 comment: